Way back in December, I went to my appointment on the 30th. I was praying and praying that I had progressed a lot since the previous week in terms of dilation and effacement. I was sorely disappointed however, and my spirits were definitely lowered—a lot. When Dr. Swift mentioned that the following day was going to be dead in labor and delivery, since there were no inductions scheduled, I cringed! I mentioned to my doctor that the baby had stopped moving the previous night, and I’d felt one, maybe two movements since the previous evening (my appointment was at 11:30am, just to give you a time period). Thus far in my pregnancy, absolutely nothing had phased my doctor, so I was surprised when this piece of info alarmed him. He wanted me to get a non-stress test after I left his office. I casually asked what would be the plan of action after the test. He replied, “Well, they may decide to take the baby.” My spirits soared! I was ready for that test NOW!
Dr. Swift got on the phone and called down to Labor and Delivery to schedule the test. When he got off the phone, he informed me that after he’d given L & D my info, they concluded that it would be best to just induce me the following day. Can you say ECSTATIC?!?! I had to wait until 6 pm that night though, to find out exactly what time I’d go in. The suspense nearly killed me. I spent much of the day getting final baby preparations done, and talking to my parents, who would be coming down to take care of Tanner during my hospital stay. Finally, I was told by the hospital that night to just call at 6am the following morning. Depending on their patient load, they would either tell me to come in asap, or to be there in an hour, at 7am. At 10:00 that night (the 30th), my dad arrived.
The next morning, we didn’t get to the hospital until 7:20am! I was afraid they’d tell me that since I was late I must not want the baby that bad, and send me home. They didn’t though (since I was now getting induced for a medical reason), and everyone was so nice to me! While I was laying on the bed and nurse Becky took my info and vitals, hooked me up to monitors, etc, everything seemed to culminate all at once. The reality of everything, the smells of the hospital, the reality that I was going to be in labor in just a few hours, the fear of Pitocin….and I more or less passed out! My blood pressure was something like 65/32! I scared the nurse just a little!
Shortly after that, they hooked me up to Pitocin at 8:30am, and man, that stuff produces some hard core contractions! I asked forsome phentinol around 9:30 or so, and that stuff was wonderful. Unfortunately, its effects are short lived (about 45 minutes). After it had worn off, I asked for my epidural. I got it and….it worked, except for a little pocket in what felt like the left side of my uterus. So, the anesthesiologist gave me a whole new dose (without a new injection). But, that didn’t take either. So….I soon got a whole new injection, which STILL didn’t work (the nurse saw me just writhing in pain, and informed me that something was NOT right). After a 2nd dose again, things still weren’t working. And on top of that, I was stressing and not dilating or effacing at all. Finally, the anesthesiologist just tweaked the epdiural a tiny bit, and it took! Only took 4 epidurals…. The good news is, after the epidural started working, I went from a 3 to a 10 FAST! I couldn’t believe it at a little after 3 when they told me to get ready to push!
I pushed a total of 9 times, through either 2 or 3 contractions, and out Preston came! I was soooo numb I was surprised my pushing did any good, but it obviously did. Anyway, that is the condensed version, but at least I have finally written it down.
2 comments:
So four epidurals huh? Most women are fine with one. I guess you like to be NUMB!! Just kidding. I know how painful those blasted contractions can be. I am glad to hear everything went well.
It's fun to get the details filled in. I'm glad you're finally blogging again. The pregnant snow woman is so funny!
Post a Comment