As if the exruciating pain of dropping pineapple on my nylon-clad foot wasn't enough, when I went to take the band aid off before going to bed, Nathan said, "Um, I can see why you're in pain!" Underneath the nail was completely BLACK. This happened to Ryan Argyle one time on a group date, when he smashed his finger in a car trunk that was slamming shut. It looked so painful I swore I would never,ever ever let that happen to me. At any rate, Nathan insisted that the pressure had to be relieved--which might have gone over somewhat well with me were I not ready pass out by merely thinking about a pin or needle going through my nail. Mom gave me lots of good advice---but finally did admit that she personally had never been through it. The whole pin idea didn't work anyway, since it required way too much pressure being applied to the nail. however, Mom had one suggestion that Nathan thought was a wonderful idea: using a power drill! Does that sound like your idea of a fun time or what?!?!
Nathan about had to tie me down to get me to let him use the drill on my foot. He said we'd try it ONCE, and if it hurt, he'd stop. With a pillow between my face and my foot (as well as Nathan's body based on his sitting position), I could not see anything but could hear the drill loud and clear! Surprisingly, the drill really did not hurt--thank HEAVENS for that--but apparently once Nathan hit 'the spot' well, let's just say it made a mess. I know this because of his yell of surprise, and because he told me--not because I dared look at the mess for fear I would pass out or puke. As if I don't sound like a boob enough thus far, I surely will after saying this: I also made Nathan clean up the area and put gauze and tape on it to cover it. I do believe that we made excellent use of the first aid kit given to us as a wedding gift from Jim and Teri Durrant. It came in mighty handy.
NOTE: My mom tells me that I put "too much information" on my blog (referring to my Nathan/Bonnie stories from 'way back when'), yet one of the first things she asked me the day after this all happened was if I was going to post this on my blog. I said, "No way." She told me that she thought it would be the perfect blog post--and it needed pictures too. So, this is for you Mom! The toe picture is what my toe looked like when I took the band aid off Sunday night (the night after it happened). Don't be alarmed by all the red--that is nail polish, NOT blood. The funny thing is, that nail polish is actually a reason we needed the drill--since it was so hard to get through!
Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine what I was getting myself into when I gave Nathan this power drill for Christmas last year.....
6 comments:
Ouch! I'm glad the drill worked, but I'm with you--I'm not sure how I'd feel about someone going after my toe with one! When I was around 7 or 8 I went to get Derrick from a friend's house. They were playing with a hammer and, well, the hammer somehow connected with my index finger on my right hand! It turned black and stayed that way for months. We were in Utah when it finally popped up, and I can still remember that pain. I'm just glad it grew back, but to this day the nail on my right index finger is bigger than my left.
oh, sick!! that is sad and disgusting! hope it is feeling better. And on someone else's blog I might read the title and think, you know I'm not sure I'll read that one..but I know that if it is on Bonnie's blog that is pretty safe.
I love all of your details! I put tons of details in my blog too. Just a habit I guess. Sorry about your toe. The whole story is actually kind-of funny, but sorry about all of the pain!
That is the coolest thing EVER!!! I wish I was there to witness that! Hopefully you won't loose your nail. I'll have to hook you up with some super cute glitter toes when schools out. I hope its feeling better :)
WoW, pretty traumatic. I promise i'm going to write you back. There is just so much drama around here.
Ewwww! I hope you feel better!
Post a Comment