I had been graduated from college for almost a year, and worked in the field of social work for most of the year. We lived in Portland, where Nathan was a flight instructor in Newberg, and I had just started a week earlier as the onsite manager for Raleigh Court apartments. We lived 2 blocks from Nathan's brother and his wife, and life was quintessential and couldn't have been more picturesque.
I was so excited to not be pregnant anymore, and to have a new baby. Last night at Enrichment the gal teaching the class was pregnant (she is due in 3 weeks) and I thought about how I was her age 3 years ago, and was in the same situation--anticipating the birth of my first baby. About a week before Tanner was born, we were in WalMart buying diapers. A lady asked when I was due, and if it was my first baby. I answered that I was due in a week and that yes, it was my first baby. She told us that our life was about to change in a way we couldn't even comprehend, and at the time I thought that was nice, but didn't really understand. Now, I understand completely.
I don't know why I feel so sentimental today. I didn't feel like this last year, but for some reason it has just really hit me this week. When I was in the ER with Tanner in April, it really struck me how, in just 3 short years (some days it seems like a LONG 3 years!) I've gone from having this brand new, perfect baby that I promised myself I would give the world to, to having a 3 year old that addresses me as "Bonnie," and can sing the ABC's, and who makes me want to pull my hair out.....like yesterday, as I was on the phone with Amy, when he decided to dump out my box of Acini de Pepe (you know, the noodles that go in frog eye salad).
I could go on and on with my philosophical ramblings, but will end it here.
Happy 3rd Birthday, Tanner! We love you so much! You make us laugh, keep us on our toes, and your baby brother absolutely adores you!
What do you say we have potty training done with by your next birthday? :-) (hopefully long before this time next year!)
Tanner now:
5 comments:
Wow! You have a three-year-old! He is so big!
Happy late birthday to Tanner! Sorry we're late--I thought of it the day before, but I didn't want to be early. Then of course I didn't flip my calendar over to July so I missed it. I hope it was a great one! Crazy that he's 3 already. Acini di pepi huh? That would be a mess!
Happy birthday, little man!
Hi Bonnie! I just wanted to send you a quick message and let you know that I am in Pasco, and will be until July 22nd. Braden and I would love to come and see you one day and catch up if you are around. Send me an email or call my cell, I still have my Seattle number.
Happy Birthday Tanner!
Post a Comment